This stew is rich, hearty, flavorful and completely vegan. It uses the Instant Pot, so you can expect it to be super speedy, cooking tofu and cauliflower in mere minutes. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, no need to worry. You can just as easily make this stew on the stove top using a large soup pot. In this case, cook until the cauliflower is fork-tender. This is an ideal recipe to make on a Sunday afternoon and have the leftovers for your weekday lunches. Or better yet, bring it to Friendsgiving and your vegan friends will thank you for this delicious plant-based protein source.
- 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: approximately 30 minutes
- Calories: 332
- 1 block tofu, firm, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans chickpeas (15.5 oz), drained
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, no added salt (15.5 oz)
- 12 ounces cauliflower florets
- 1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp red curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced (optional)
Select Sauté function on Instant Pot. Add oil. Sauté onion and bell pepper in heated oil for about 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic, dried oregano and spices and cook for 30 seconds more.
Press cancel. Add tofu, chickpeas, cauliflower, coconut milk, canned tomatoes, 2 cups broth, fresh cilantro, juice of a lime, salt and pepper. Lock lid into place. Turn the vent valve to “Sealing” position. Select “Manual” setting and set cook time to 8 minutes. Note: While the Instant Pot cook time is 8 minutes, expect additional time needed for the Instant Pot to pressurize and release pressure after cooking.
Once cooking time is complete, allow pressure to naturally release 5-10 minutes then release remaining pressure using the quick-release method.
Serve with cooked brown rice and thinly sliced red chili slices and additional lime wedges as desired.