The addition of beans, vegan meat (I use Lightlife Smart Ground Plant-based Crumbles) and mushrooms along with tons of other vegetables make this vegan chili hearty and satisfying. It’s the perfect one pot meal for a cozy evening at home or a DIY chili bar for game day.
- 6 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Calories: 422
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 package meatless crumbles
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped, seeds and membranes discarded
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped, seeds and membranes discarded
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, no-added-salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, no-added-salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Add oil. Once oil is hot, add onion. Use a wooden spoon to stir and cook until tender and translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Adjust heat as needed and season with salt.
Add meatless crumbles to the onion and break apart into small pieces with spoon. Sautée crumbles with onion for 1-2 minutes. Then, add carrot, celery, bell pepper, jalapeno, mushrooms and garlic to the pot. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7-8 minutes. Turn heat down as needed.
Add chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano and stir to mix in well. Cook for 1 minute.
Add diced tomatoes, drained beans, vegetable broth and bay leaf. Stir to combine ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover pot, reduce heat to allow chili to gently simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook for about 30 minutes.
Remove and discard bay leaf before serving. Serve chili with fresh cilantro leaves, sliced green onion and lime wedges to squeeze over top.