Hearts of palm is harvested from certain palm tree species native to Central and South America. Fresh hearts of palm are highly perishable, so they are most widely available canned. They have a delicate, vegetable flavor and may be compared in taste to artichoke. Hearts of palm easily becomes the star ingredient when incorporated into simple and tasty salads. If you like this Chopped Salad with Hearts of Palm, Garbanzo Beans and Avocado, you may also enjoy this Vegetarian Cobb Salad.
Chopped Salad with Hearts of Palm, Garbanzo Beans and Avocado
- 4 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Calories: 274
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, no-added-salt, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can hearts of palm, rinsed and drained, chopped
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen, defrosted)
- 1 avocado, skin and pit removed, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1/4 cup shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
- black pepper
In a large bowl, combine garbanzo beans, hearts of palm, corn, avocado, cherry tomato, cucumber and shallot. Use clean hands or tongs to mix ingredients.
In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, combine red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Using a small whisk or fork, slowly pour in olive oil while whisking vigorously. Continue to whisk until dressing ingredients are well incorporated.
Pour dressing over chopped salad and stir gently to mix well. Refrigerate until serving.